Discussion in   Report Bug   started     10 years ago   May 16, 2014, 09:43:43 PM   by   spainkevin79

UOSteam Can Cause Severe Lag/ Responsible Scripting

spainkevin79
143 Posts
Topic :   UOSteam Can Cause Severe Lag/ Responsible Scripting
10 years ago  May 16, 2014, 09:43:43 PM

I was using uosteam to [grab during an attack macro earlier this week. It went like this.

@getenemy 'murderer' 'enemy' 'criminal' 'gray' 'nearest'
@attack 'enemy'
if @inrange "enemy" 10
  setability 'primary' 'on'
endif
msg '[grab'

Now this doesn't work. It switches enemies as fast as the server can ping and grabs just as fast. Heres the problem. I tried using it once before. What ensued was a HUGE lag spike. Now I had thought that I had caused a lag spike once before but was assured that the spike did not originate from me by staff. On this occasion it did. I was able to recreate this lag spike numerous times and for however long I wanted. I am using a 10 page grab bag and the grabs are just bogging the server down. I'm sure that I am not the only person to make this mistake. The solution is simple though. just put some simple pauses in your scripts. I'll give an example.

for 5
@getenemy 'murderer' 'enemy' 'criminal' 'gray' 'nearest'
@attack 'enemy'
if @inrange "enemy" 10
  setability 'primary' 'on'
endif
pause 1250 // set to the fastest swing speed
endfor
msg '[grab'

Now what this does is attacks enemies based off the fastest attack speed a character can achieve in game. Thats plenty fast. It will attack 5 times in a row using your primary special attack. (change 'primary' to 'secondary' if you want a secondary attack) It will then grab the corpses. Thats one grab per roughly 5 seconds.  The previous macro will send attack packets and grab commands as fast as you can ping the server, which is bad. Anyway lets all do our part to reduce lag and help the server hum along accordingly. And remember! Macro responsibly.  - †Soulsunder†

Minos
230 Posts
#1 Re :   UOSteam Can Cause Severe Lag/ Responsible Scripting
10 years ago  May 16, 2014, 09:51:51 PM

Responsible scripting, what's your policy?  ;)