Discussion in   Help!   started     7 years ago   February 23, 2017, 01:25:15 PM   by   Mob576

New Player Questions

Mob576
3 Posts
Topic :   New Player Questions
7 years ago  February 23, 2017, 01:25:15 PM

Hi,

New player just joined, just back into UO after a 10 year hiatus and really enjoying the server. However, I have a few questions that I cannot find complete answers on the forums or wiki:

1) What skills should I use my skill ball on? I know certain skills cant be raised past 100, but which ones fall in this category?
2) How do you recommend earning money? I want to train more cost intensive skills like poisoning, tailoring, blacksmithing, etc., but I do not have enough gold to purchase ingredients. Do you recommend a particular monster spawn?
3) Any good recommendations for where to train discord, provo, etc.?

Thank you,
Jacobo

Sturger
730 Posts
#1 Re :   New Player Questions
7 years ago  February 23, 2017, 02:34:08 PM

Answers to get you started..

1. Poisoning, Throwing (only if you're an elf or human, and after raising this skill to 10--for free), Discordance, Provocation, Cooking, and possibly any of the trade skills; if gathering and crafting for days isn't your thing. For the most part I used my skill ball points on things I had no fun raising to GM. That is I skipped raising my skills beyond GM with my skill ball. The best answer is anything you want. However, there are of course exceptions. Combat skills are a good example of skills unworthy of skill ball points. As far as skills that do not go past 100-- naturally-- only arms lore, and camping come to my mind.  8)

2. Gazers, Elder Gazers, Gazer Larvae, Juka Mages, and various other magic users often will, or always will, drop nightshade which is used to create poison. However, I suggest you collect nightshade for later forms of poison creation. Many poisonous creatures drop lesser poisons as loot--already in the bottle-- for your immediate use. Start there, once you buy the skill up to 30 something. It is a long tedious task, raising poisoning... but it might be macro capable. I just never figured out that macro.
 Gold is everywhere, monsters have a lot of it so I take it from them. I'd tell you to go to certain places, but you are new and I am unsure of your combat mettle. However, trying your hand at adventuring in the provinces of Tokuno is what I would recommend to anyone. Many rich monsters found there, and in abundance.

3. I suggest you train animal lore first... (training this skill is very easy) and when you have become GM in it, find some neutral animals out in the wild and Lore them. Just about every creature has a barding difficulty. These numbers are a good way to find out if you are capable of the attempt. Also, both Discord and Provocation run on the same table. Discord to animals, when that is done you should be able to provoke them to attack each other. In the end, where to train is up to your current skill set in the chosen bard skill you are trying to raise. You might google some answers on the internet, but I found that the guides were a small bit outdated. Also, UOE is custom, so there might be differences due to that aspect as well.

Great questions... keep them coming.  (gains 0.01 in Beginner Guide Building)

--Sturger, of Skara Brea; Editor, UOE-Herald--  :)

Mob576
3 Posts
#2 Re :   New Player Questions
7 years ago  February 23, 2017, 03:17:30 PM

Awesome thanks for the response. Happy to ask more questions :) . Below are a few more that have been on my mind:

1) Where do I get these armors? All quests?

• Astro Daemon Armor
  • Magi
  • Kas
  • Vecna
  • Battle-Worn Kas
2) What do you recommend as a weapon progression? Right now I have a decent electrum butcher knife, better than Zelda sword, but far from the battle axes I see at the bank.

3) What is the point of breeding? Is this how you get evo dragons?

4) Lastly, any point in having these skills?
  • Cooking
  • Begging
  • Forensic Eval
  • Taste Identification
  • Camping

Sturger
730 Posts
#3 Re :   New Player Questions
7 years ago  February 25, 2017, 10:52:57 PM

Ha ha. Some more good questions.

1. Yes! Those sets are all gained through doing quests.

2. A level 100 x3 leech axe is a good weapon to have. I would also suggest doing the Ghostly Blacksmith http://uoevolution.com/wiki/index.php/Ghostly_Blacksmith quest and getting a Legendary Ghost Sword, as well. I use this weapon, the only real downside is it can't be leveled, but hey, every weapon has its pro's and con's.

3. No. Breeding is not how you get an EVO dragon Egg. (though I am not 100% on that, since things are always changing) Breeding, is how you raise the potential of a pets power. Through several generations, a pet will emerge with a high pet level (up to level 40) which grants it more (SP) or spending points. These points are used to gain attribute points, resistance, additional damage potentials and even more amazing features along the way; further more--thanks to Kane-- pets can also have special traits due to breeding, which make them even more powerful. Did I mention DNA, also increases the amount of (SP) a pet can gain each time it levels up? There is just to much to know about pets and breeding these days. (faints)  :o

4. I would suggest raising all skills to 100-- if not further along-- with the only exception being Camping. Though, I know Camping is good for raising a characters attributes when reaching for stats beyond 110. The best part about camping is that the skill works equally for all three attributes[ STR, DEX, or INT] when trying to gain more stats points.

Ex. When a character is trying to raise Strength, maintain Dexterity, and reduce Intelligence.

1. Set Strength to raise/up arrow.
   2. Lock Dexterity (icon looks like a lock next to the attribute on the paper-doll)
   3. Set Intelligence to lower/down arrow

4. All that is left is for the character to gather a good supply of kindling, and to find a large area of the world to build many small fires in. Double click the kindling and a skill check is made, and either a point in the skill is garnered, or a point in a stat is gained. (Keep in mind stat gain depends on how many points a character has left in their attribute pool; or if one--or more-- attribute are set to lower, while one attribute is set to raise)

--Sturger--

Jolieen
1 Posts
#4 Re :   New Player Questions
6 years ago  January 28, 2018, 08:24:01 AM

Evo dragons can't be bred.  There is a quest though where you can get one.  Don't know the name of it.  Got my dragon at auction.